Friday, April 25, 2014

Polygons and aquarels

Howdy y'all, how have you been? I've been busy with studying, 9 to 5 plus five hours of travelling daily, and I can tell you: that does not leave much time for other projects. However, as my mom had her birthday recently and today I was ill at home and couldn't focus on school stuff, I've been picking up making illustrations for postcards again.

The last card I've made was almost half a year ago, trying out polygons for the first time for a Christmas/holidays card we sent.

The card below is the birthday card from a couple of days ago, using polygons again which is a style I just love. I've been doing a tutorial on how to make polygon illustrations from 3D files with the software Blender, but I have yet to finish them so these are simply made in Inkscape (open source and free Illustrator-like software). The background was taken from a downloadable polygon backgrounds pack  from Spoongraphics (who, by the way, has lots of awesome tutorials; if you're interested in graphic design I'd really recommend visiting his site).

Today I just didn't get anywhere with my school stuff and felt ill, so I chose to move that work to the weekend and instead try out a new graphical style: water colours.
Using tips from this and this tutorial, and the awesome watercolour textures from Carolina Garofani, I made two cards. The first one of a daisy, for a 'spring' kind of feeling since it's very sunny today, and the second one with a crown, continuing on a design I didn't finish last year.


It's King's day tomorrow in the Netherlands, the first one ever probably. Last year our queen abdicated and her son became king, the first one after over a century of queen regnants. Traditionally, the queen's birthday has been celebrated in a day of orange-coloured craziness, and this well-loved holiday is of course continuing with the king.

Keywords on this day: orange, more orange, crazy hats and outfits (orange, of course), free market, childrens' games, music stages everywhere, beer, party!

No comments:

Post a Comment